Thursday, December 22, 2016

CATRIONA GRAY SHINES EVEN WITHOUT THE CROWN


Much to the sadness of most Filipino fans, a different name was called on as the title holder of the Miss World 2016 pageant. Not Catriona Gray of the Philippines which most of the Filipinos believe should have won the crown. Much touted as the second Filipino that will snag the crown after well loved Megan Young in 2013, Catriona was left just finishing in the Top 5. Just is a rightful word as we believe she deserves so much more, maybe if not the crown at least any of the 2 runner-ups. But alas, she was not in the Top 3.



Catriona Gray of the seemed destined from greatness on the get go. After winning the Miss World Philippines pageant, it looked like she was just waiting for the crowning moment. For Filipinos to be outraged is but normal. She is one of the stronger candidates we have sent to the pageant in years. She has what it takes to take the crown. Beautiful face, towering presence, great body, wonderful personality, brilliant mind and a kind heart. Pre-pageants until the actual pageant night, Catriona was poised to outbest all the rest. With her performance everyone else seems second best.



The emotional outburst of the fans is not without a proper justification. The ladies may be of equal footing from the start but the question and answer portion just put Catriona and Miss World Kenya Evelyn Njambi ahead of the 3 other ladies from Indonesia, Puerto Rico and Dominican Republic. It is not really sourgraping as you can see Filipinos whine when they think they have been taken of what is rightfully theirs. There were no similar outcry from Miss World 2014 and 2015 when we did not fare that well after the stellar performance of Megan Young in 2013. And during 2011 when Gwendolyn Ruais took 1st runner-up, there were no sort of outrage as they believe that year's winner Ivian Sarcos was a deserving winner.



Despite not taking home the crown, Catriona deserves to be treated as our queen. She definitely delivered much more and we are so proud of her. Sometimes it is not actually the ones who win that ends up being remembered but the ones that really outshined everyone else and had a major effect with a lot of people. Catriona did just that and for Filipinos she will be our Miss World 2016 that we almost had.



Catriona wrote this in her Instagram account “The question most of you are asking is if I’m okay and I can securely say that I am. Miss World was never just a beauty contest to me. The crown represented a journey, one that grew from being an independent endeavor to one that became more than me. A journey that rallied the support of my countrymen. A journey that forced me to look into myself and discover what I was made of. A journey that found its heart in the children in one of the poorest slums in my country. Yes, the crown represented a journey… until I realized that the journey could continue and exist without it. I truly believe that God always knows what’s best and I trust in his plan and perfect timing.”


Here is Catriona's answer to the final question:
"I think first of all, it takes bravery. To be a Miss World is to carry a burning torch. It is like action carried out by one to illuminate the lives of many. And I would dedicate my whole self, my love for the arts, and my voice to trying to uplift, empower, and educate people. And it would be my greatest honor and duty to hold this torch high enough so that all the world could feel and see its light."


Now that is a winner!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...